More than four decades ago the cooperative’s founding members left behind their homes 4,000 metres up in the Andes to migrate to the lush Amazonian basin 3,600 metres below. With time, they flourished through the cultivation of cocoa beans. Their quest for better days has resulted in a prestigious organization with local and international recognition, which is active in all areas of Bolivian cocoa production.
Every four years, El Ceibo’s Board of Directors is elected by representatives of each member cooperative.
In addition to overseeing all of El Ceibo’s activities, the Board of Directors is in charge of conducting the General Assembly meetings which are held twice a year in Sapecho.
It is central to El Ceibo’s structure that all Board Members, senior management and employees are either active associates of El Ceibo or their children.
At the core of El Ceibo’s success are its driving principles:
- Self-governance in all areas of its activity.
- Democratic participation of all associates.
- Sharing technical knowledge among cocoa farmers.
- Environmentally sustainable production.
- Fair distribution of dividends.
- Integration of small similar organizations.
- Respect for life, cultures and the environment.